Message amplification settings
Problem: Difficulty hearing Zello messages.
Possible solution: Adjust the message recording and playback volume settings. This can be completed on an individual-user basis, or by an admin for all users across the network.
Table of contents
Keep in mind that audio quality relies on a variety of factors, including but not limited to device type, device accessories, and external noise conditions. For that reason, admins may find it’s most advantageous to allow each individual user full control over their audio settings.
It’s best to incrementally increase these settings to ensure message quality isn’t negatively impacted. Increasing amplification by a few decibels at a time allows users to catch any potential message distortions that can occur alongside the decibel change.
Definitions of playback/recording settings
Note that the need for the following settings may depend on the microphone in use. If your automatic settings aren’t producing the level of desired audio quality, consider manually adjusting the decibel level as needed.
Setting capabilities differ between Android, iOS, and Windows operating systems.
- Playback amplifier: Digitally amplifies the playback level. This affects the message playback volume.
- Playback automatic gain control: When activated, this feature will override the playback amplifier. The gain level will be automatically adjusted as your message plays.
- Recording amplifier: Digitally amplifies the recording level. This affects the volume at which the message is recorded.
- Recording automatic gain control: When activated, this feature will override the recording amplifier. The recording’s gain level will be automatically adjusted as your message records.
- Microphone boost: Controls the microphone’s sensitivity. If the decibel setting is too low, your microphone may pick up unintended background noise. If it’s too high, others may have a hard time hearing you. For that reason, it’s best to incrementally increase the decibel count.
- Noise suppression: Enabling noise suppression allows the background of a recording to be automatically quieted. Please note that this doesn’t mean the background noise will be eliminated altogether.
Adjusting settings in the management console (admins)
Settings instituted in the admin management console will be applied across all network devices. Users will not be able to control their individual device settings if the admin establishes uniform settings from the console.
Playback and recording settings can be altered for iOS, Android, and Dispatch Hub via the management console. Note that the exact settings options are dependent on the operating system.
Note: Dispatch Hub settings must be changed through the admin management console through the pathway Settings>Desktop>General. At the time, the settings listed in this article cannot be changed in the Dispatch Hub app.
- Sign in to your network’s admin management console at yournetworkname.zellowork.com.
- Go to Settings> devicetype> General.
- Adjust the settings as needed for your network. We highly recommend that you make incremental adjustments, as amplification can distort messages if not appropriately addressed.
Changing device-specific settings (users)
Settings changed on user devices will apply solely to the device in question. Instructions for changing settings on iOS and Android devices are below. If the below settings are locked on your device, it’s likely your admin has pre-defined these settings for your network.
- Open Zello Work on your iOS device. Ensure you’re logged into the intended account.
- Click the user icon in the top-left corner of your device’s screen. Then, follow the pathway Settings>Audio>Amplification.
- Incrementally adjust your device’s amplification settings, keeping in mind that alterations to playback settings will affect incoming audio, and recording settings will affect outgoing audio. A few notes:
- The Automatic function will automatically determine your audio settings. It will override any previous settings when turned on.
- Microphone boost will only affect your recording settings.
- Again, it’s best to incrementally alter these settings to ensure audio clarity and quality. Otherwise, the risk of message distortion increases.
- Use the Test audio button to test the adjustments as you go.
- Open Zello Work.
- Tap the Zello menu (three dots in the upper-right corner of your screen). Then, follow the pathway Options>Audio.
- Depending on the issue you’re trying to solve, adjust either the playback or recording amplifier by dragging the blue slider. If you’d like the decibel rates to be automatically set, toggle on the Automatic function.
Legacy PC App
Zello Work audio options on the Legacy PC app include playback amplifier and recording amplifier. A microphone boost may be available as well, but only if your PC’s audio drive supports such.
- To adjust the recording volume, start by adjusting the Recording device slider. Note that this differs from the recording amplifier.
- If your recorded audio still isn’t as loud or clear you’d like, consider instituting a Microphone boost.
- If issues persist, then adjust the Recording amplifier. Ensure you incrementally increase this setting to avoid distortion.
Repeat the above steps for the playback device if your concern regards the volume of incoming messages.