Mapping Zello's PTT Functionality to the iOS Action button
The instructions below detail the process of mapping Zello’s PTT functionality to your iOS device's Action button. Once enabled, use the Action button to send messages to your channel without opening either Zello or your device.
Please note the following:
- At this time, the iOS Action button is only available on the iPhone 15 Pro and iPhone 15 Pro Max.
- Mapping the PTT functionality to the Action button requires Zello version 5.29.1 or higher
- The Action button is not compatible with hold-to-talk functionality.
Adding Zello to your Action button
- From your iOS device, open the Shortcuts app.
- Under the App Shortcuts heading, select Zello.
- Tap the three dots located in the upper-right corner of the TogglePTT Zello box.
- Tap Add to Shortcut. Then, tap Done, and exit the Shortcuts app.
- Open your iOS device’s Settings app. Select Action Button from the Settings menu.
- Scroll to the right until you find the Shortcut screen. Then, click Choose a Shortcut.
- Under the My Shortcuts heading, tap TogglePTT Zello.
- When the shortcut has been successfully added, TogglePTT Zello will appear at the bottom of the Shortcut screen.
Using the Action Button
Your device's Action button operates like the Zello PTT button's toggle mode.
- Press and hold—for a few seconds—the device's Action button. This will start your recording.
- Release the Action button. Then, talk into the device.
- Press and hold the Action button again to end the recording. Your message will be sent to the previously-selected channel.
PTT Framework for iOS
The PTT Framework operates similar to the Action button: users can send messages without unlocking their device or opening Zello. Any user operating on iOS 16 or up can access this functionality, regardless of the device's model. For more information on using and enabling the PTT Framework, see these instructions.