Getting Started Guide for ZelloWork
Welcome to ZelloWork! This guide shows you how to create and manage a free 10-user, 30-day trial and then upgrade to a paid subscription and add more users. These are the main tasks involved:
- Create your ZelloWork network
- Install the iOS, Android, or Windows PC apps on user devices
- Test your network
- Create channels
- Add users to a channel
- Edit user details and network settings
- Convert from the trial to a paid subscription
To view a short video overview of the ZelloWork Management Console, go here.
Task 1: Create your ZelloWork network
In a web browser, go to https://zello.com/work/
- Click on the START YOUR TRIAL button
- Fill out the Create Network form with your name, company's name, your email and work phone number. Choose a unique private network name to identify your company. Try to keep the name memorable and short. Click Continue when done
- You’ll get a confirmation that you’ve successfully created a network
- Create an administrative password. You will use this password with the username of admin to sign in to your network
- Create up to 10 users for your free 30-day trial. You can skip this step and create users from your Management Console later, but you cannot test the network with just one user.
- A series of screens will display with links to download Zello onto your users' devices. You can also email the links to the users remotely. If you are on a Windows PC, click Download Now to download ZelloWork for Windows PC
- Sign in with the username of admin and your password. If you forgot the password click on the eye icon.
- Click on Continue to Dashboard when done.
- This is the network Admin Management Console dashboard for a network named "mycompany59". The dashboard is where Admins can manage network users, channels, devices and settings. It's your ZellloWork command center.
Task 2: Install the iOS, Android, or Windows PC apps on user devices
After creating the network, the users on the network will need to install ZelloWork onto their smartphone, tablet, or PC. This can be done in three ways:
- Install the app directly onto the devices from download links on the Management Console
- Send users the download link using the Get App icon on the taskbar, along with the network QR code, their network name, username, and password
- Create SignOn links to send to users, allowing them to log in without having to enter the network name, username, or password.
After downloading the app, use the following steps to install ZelloWork on iOS, Android, and Window PC devices. If you are creating SignOn links for your users, you can skip these sections and go here instead.
iOS (iPhone, iPad, iPod)
- Download the Zello app from the App Store. Once installed, open Zello and select the ZelloWork link from the Welcome to Zello screen. NOTE: iPad users should search for Zello in the "iPhone Only" apps section of the App Store
- On the Log in screen, enter the username, password and network name
- Tap Log in when done to go to the Zello Contacts screen, where other network users will be listed
- For more information on using ZelloWork, please refer to iPhone ZelloWork Start Guide.
- Download the Zello app from the Google Play Store. Once installed, open Zello and select the ZelloWork link from the Welcome to Zello screen
- On the Sign in screen, enter the username, password and network name
- Tap the blue checkmark to complete the sign-in and go to the Zello Contacts screen, where other network users will be listed
- For more information on using the ZelloWork app, please refer to Android ZelloWork Start Guide.
- To install ZelloWork for Windows PC, go to your web browser on the PC
- Type in the network URL: "[Your network name].zellowork.com/downloads.html" and Enter
- From the Downloads screen, select the Windows PC option
- For more information about using the Windows PC app, please refer to Windows PC ZelloWork Start Guide.
NOTE: If you are not able to sign in, verify your network configuration. Refer to network configuration instructions.
To install ZelloWork for Windows Mobile devices, open the web browser on the Windows Mobile device, enter "[Your network name].zellowork.com" and then select the option for Windows Mobile (.cab).
For more information about using the Windows Mobile app, please refer to Windows Mobile ZelloWork Start Guide.
Task 3: Test your ZelloWork network
Now that you have created a network account and added users, you can test Zello by contacting someone on your Contacts list. Initially, all users added to a network will appear as contacts for each other and are placed in a default channel named "Everyone". Admins can later edit user contacts and channels from the Management Console.
To test your network:
- From any device connected to the network, go to the Contacts list and select a Contact showing in Available status (solid green circle)
- On the Talk Screen, press and hold the round touchscreen button until the rim turns solid red and then speak. Release when done speaking
- Listen for an audio confirmation from your Contact.
Identifying users’ current status
On the Management Console, select Users from the taskbar. The Users list displays each username, display name and position (if provided), and their channel assignment(s). The circles to the left of each username indicate their current availability status.
Here are the status types and the user’s availability for each.
- Available: Solid green circle with a checkmark indicates the user is online and all messages will play in real-time
- Busy: Solid orange circle indicates Zello will not play audio in real-time but will, instead, save messages to History for later listening
- Standby: Hollow green circle indicates the Internet connection is lost or Zello is not running. Missed messages will be automatically played when the user returns to “Available" status.
- Offline: Hollow gray circle indicates the user is not signed into the app. The user cannot receive messages while in Offline. However, will receive any missed messages sent within 7 days of going Offline once back in "Available" status.
Task 4: Create channels
All network users are initially assigned to a default channel named "Everyone". Admins can change, remove, and reassign users to other channels by using the Management Console.
Channels allow groups to communicate in real-time, using one-to-many transmissions. Everyone can hear everyone else, but only one person can speak at a time. There is no time limit as long as no one else tries to interrupt. The interrupt time default is one minute but can be changed by the Admin. Up to 6000 online and connected users are supported per channel, but there is no limit on the number of subscribers allowed per channel.
Adding a new channel
- From the Management Console, select Channels from the taskbar
- You should see the default "Everyone" channel already listed
- Click on +New Channel to add another channel
- Enter a name for the new channel. In this example, the channel is named "Emergency"
- Select the Channel Type using the drop-down arrow. Select from one of the following types: Team, Dynamic, or Hidden
- When done, click Create Channel and the channel will be added to your list.
Task 5: Add users to a channel
- From the Management Console taskbar, select Channels
- Select the channel you want to add users to
- Click on "+" to add users from the network Users list
- Check off the users you want to add
- When finished, click on Done to add the users to the network.
NOTE: The free trial only allows up to 10 users per network. If you decide to convert your network into a paid subscription, at that point you can add as many users as you need. With a paid subscription you can import multiple users from a CSV file and also export user data.
Task 6: Edit user details and network settings
Editing a user's details
- From the Management Console taskbar, select Users
- From the Users list, select the username you want to edit. In this example, we are editing the username "User2". From this screen, you can Clone the account to use for a new user, change the password, create a SignOn link for the user to log into the network, or Delete User. Details such as their Display (alias) name, Position, Email, Template, Web Console Access, and Cloud History (which retains all messages created by the user) can be edited. All Channels and Direct Contacts associated with the user are also listed.
Changing network settings
- From the Management Console taskbar, select Settings
- Select the platform you want to edit settings for (Android, iOS, Desktop, Windows Mobile, Web Admin, or Common)
- For more information on the network console settings, please refer to the ZelloWork Console Settings Guide.
Task 7: Convert from the trial to a paid subscription
You can easily convert your 30-day free trial into a paid subscription using a credit card and the Management Console. The paid subscription will allow you to keep all the users and channels you currently have, plus add unlimited users, channels, and ad hoc groups. You can add premium features such as Emergency Alerts, Message Vault, or Premium Maps for an additional fee. See Pricing for details.
- From the Management Console taskbar, select Upgrade
- On the Upgrade screen, select the number of users for your network and any premium features you want to add. You can also specify Monthly payments or select Yearly payment for a 15% discount. If you are a 501C non-profit or educational organization, contact firstname.lastname@example.org for additional discounts available
- Click on Enter Payment Details to enter your billing information, contact, and company profile
- You can pause or cancel your subscription at any time by selecting Delete my account at the bottom. You can resume your subscription at a later time.