Installing ZelloWork app
Here are the steps to install the Zello app on your Windows PC and log into your ZelloWork network.
1. Go to your company’s web-based ZelloWork network at [Your network name].zellowork.com. It’ll be something like mycompany.zellowork.com.
2. Go to Downloads and select the PC client
3. Locate the downloaded file.
4. Double-click the “ZelloSetup.exe” to install it.
5. Select “Run” to allow the app to install.
6. Click “Next” to start setup.
7. Select “I Agree” to accept the license agreement.
8. Select “Install” to accept the default install location.
9. Select “Finish” to complete the setup.
As soon as the install is done, the Zello shortcut appears on the desktop and the login window pops up.
10. Enter your ZelloWork username and password.
11. Select “Sign in” to start using Zello.
You’ll need a microphone to chat on Zello. You can listen to conversations over your computer’s speakers or with a headset. Here are the steps to talk to your contacts when they appear online.
1. Select contact from list of contacts.
2. Press and hold the longer push-to-talk button.
3. Say something.
4. Release the button when you finish talking.
Instead of pressing and holding the button, you can use the smaller button as the PTT. Just press once, talk and press again when you finish talking.
Sending a message to multiple users
You can send a message to multiple contacts at once without creating a new channel. Here’s how:
1. Press and hold the Ctrl key.
2. Select the contacts’ names.
3. Use the PTT button to talk.
Switch to the Recents tab and you’ll see Zello created an ad hoc channel. Next time you want to send a message to these contacts, just select this ad hoc channel to contact them again.
Managing your status
To change status, select the down arrow next to your current status and select your new status.
- Available: User is online and all incoming messages play in real-time.
- Busy: User is not available andZello saves messages in History for listening when it’s convenient.
- Away: User automatically changes to Away mode when idle after a set time. Mode automatically switches back to previous mode when user returns. Zello saves messages in History.
- Headphones: A user in Headphones status can talk in full duplex mode. When both the sender and recipient have full duplex mode, they can talk and listen simultaneously.
- Offline: Zello automatically changes the status to Offline when not used for seven days. The user can’t receive offline messages. However, Zello keeps the messages sent prior to going offline.
You can add a message for all statuses. To create a message for your current status, choose Tools > Change status message, enter a message and select “OK” to use it. You can see your current status message next to your status.
Using solo mode
If you want to listen to one channel without disconnecting from all of them, do the following.
- Right-click the channel.
- Select “Turn on solo mode.”
To exit Solo mode, right-click the channel and select “Turn off solo mode.”
Talking in a channel
Select the channel name from the Contacts list as indicated with a Green Target Circle icon. When no one is talking, press and hold the push-to-talk button and talk.
When you’re connected to channels, you hear every conversation for all active channels. To disconnect from a dynamic channel (Blue Target Circle icon), right-click the channel name and select “Disconnect.”
To reconnect to the channel, right-click the channel name and select “Connect.”
Sending call alerts
You can send alert tones and text messages to a contact. To send a call alert, right-click the contact and select “Send call alert.” If you wish, you can enter text. Beware, the alert repeats the audio tone every minute until the person responds or dismisses the alert. If you don’t enter a message, the default alert says, “Zello me now!”
Here’s what an incoming alert looks like.
Mapping a hardware PTT button
While you can talk by using the two onscreen buttons, you may want to map a key on your keyboard to use as a hardware PTT button instead of your mouse. To map the button, go to Tools > Options > Control. Select “Set” next to “Push-to-talk” and select the button to use. You can use two keys, such as Ctrl + Scroll Lock.
Listening to History
Recents has all your missed messages while you were offline. The blue dot indicates the number of new messages.
To view History, right-click the contact and select “Play new messages” to listen. The message plays and scrolls to the next one unless you press the Pause button.
To manage your Zello settings, select “Options” from the Tools menu.
Interface: Change how Zello handles notifications, signing in and other app options.
Control: Manage button options and sound alerts.
Audio: Manage playback and recording options.
Connection: Manage connection settings for optimal performance.
VOX: Manage VOX mode to communicate on Zello without using the keyboard. Before using this screen, enable VOX for handsfree under Control settings. For more information, please refer to Using VOX mode.
You can change alert sounds by doing the following.
1. Select Options from the Tools menu.
2. Choose “Control.”
3. Choose “Change …” for the sound you want to modify.
4. Select the file or browse another folder with sound files.
5. Select “Open.”
6. Select “Test” to hear the new sound.