Zello Work Guide: iOS
This guide walks users operating on an iOS device through Zello Work's basic functionality. For specific information about features, settings, updates, and more, see our Zello Work knowledge base.
Table of Contents:
- Zello Work basics
- Sending a message
Zello Work basics
Open the Zello app and tap the Zello Work link—located at the bottom of the screen—to log in with your username, password, and network name.
For information regarding installing and signing in to your Zello Work account, see this support article.
Communication types (1:1, 1:many, 1:all)
There are three main message types on Zello:
- One-to-one: direct communications between two users.
- One-to-many: targeted group communications called channels.
- One-to-all: messages sent to all users across the network.
UI: top navigation
Tap your user icon (1) to access your status, accounts, and settings.
Tap the + button (2) if you’d like to create a new ad-hoc (group) conversation. These can be created by any user at any time. Note that this icon is only available on the Recents tab.
UI: bottom navigation
At the bottom of your screen, there are three tabs: Recents, Contacts, and Channels.
- The Recents tab prioritizes recently sent and received messages. This is especially useful if you’re messaging multiple channels and contacts at once.
- The Contacts tab is where you’ll locate your contacts. From here, you can easily start (and later access) your 1:1 communications.
- The Channels tab shows all channels your network admin has assigned you to.
User-specific settings can be configured via your iOS device. These include audio settings, alert tones, device-specific history settings, PTT buttons, and in-app themes (light/dark mode). For more information on settings, see this article.
Sending a message
Voice messages are sent via Zello's PTT (push-to-talk) button, shown below:
The PTT button defaults to hold-to-talk mode, which requires the user press and holds the PTT button for the spoken message's duration. If you’d like to switch the PTT button to toggle mode—which allows you to press the button once to initiate recording the message, and then again to end that recording—navigate to Settings>Push-to-talk buttons>Screen Button in the app.
To send a text or image message, navigate to the contact/channel you’d like to receive the communication. Tap inside the dialogue box at the bottom of the screen to type your message, then press the blue arrow to send.
For more information on text and image messaging, see this support article.
Message history allows users to re-listen to previously sent messages at any point in time.
To configure your message history settings, tap your user icon (top left corner) and follow the pathway Settings>History.
To access your message history, select the intended contact/channel. Then, tap on the blue message icon in the top-right corner.
Managing your status
There are 4 status options on Zello.
- Available: incoming messages are played in real-time
- Busy: audio messages are saved to your history; visual notifications of messages received
- Offline: you’ll be notified of received messages upon signing in again.
- Solo: listen to messages from one contact or channel as they are sent; all other channels/contacts are muted.
See this support article for more information on managing your status.
Zello’s in-house support team is available by both phone and email from 7:30AM to 7:30PM Monday through Friday. That said, users can submit a request via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) at any time of the day.
- iOS App 101: Installation and Use (video)
- iOS App 101 (2): Settings and Support (video)
- iOS Settings