iPhone ZelloWork Start Guide
Installing the ZelloWork app
Download the PDF version here.
Here are the steps to install the Zello app and log into your ZelloWork network.
1. Go to the App Store on your iPhone and search for Zello.
2. Select “Zello Walkie Talkie.”
3. Tap “Free” and “Install App.”
4. After installing, the Zello "Z" icon appears on your screen. Tap the icon to launch Zello.
5. Select the “ZelloWork” link.
6. Make sure "ZelloWork account" is enabled. Enter your ZelloWork username, password and network. Use just the name of your network. For example, in mycompany.zellowork.com, use just mycompany.
The Menu icon has three parallel lines and appears in the left-hand corner of your screen. You can access many options from the Menu.
Here are the steps to talk to your contacts when they appear online.
1. Select “Contacts” from Menu.
2. Select contact.
3. Press and hold the big push-to-talk button.
4. Say something.
5. Release the button when you finish talking.
Managing your status
To change status, tap “Status” from the Menu and select your new status.
- Available: User is online and all incoming messages play in real-time.
- Solo: Listen to one channel without disconnecting from all of them or talk to a selected contact and all messages will go to Recents so you’re not interrupted.
- Busy: User is not available and Zello saves messages in History for listening when it’s convenient.
- Offline: Zello automatically changes the status to Offline when not used for seven days. The user can’t receive offline messages. However, Zello keeps the messages sent prior to going offline.
- Standby: The user isn’t running Zello, but can still receive offline messages. (This is not an option as it's based on a user exiting the Zello app. But this is what others see when they check a logged out user's status.)
If you choose Busy, you can add a message. The message will clear when you switch to Available.
Using solo mode
If you want to listen to one channel without disconnecting from all of them, do the following.
- Select “Status” from the Menu
- Select “Solo.”
Talking in a channel
Select “Channels” from Menu. Tap the channel to join the conversation. When no one is talking, press and hold the push-to-talk button and talk.
When you’re connected to channels, you hear every conversation for all active channels. To disconnect from a dynamic channel (Blue Target Circle icon), select the channel name and tap the Disconnect Channel icon.
To reconnect to the channel, tap the icon again.
Sending call alerts
You can send alert tones and text messages to a contact. Tap the Alert icon from the contact's screen. If you wish, you can enter text. Beware, the alert repeats the audio tone every minute until the person responds or dismisses the alert.
Here’s what an incoming alert looks like.
Mapping a hardware PTT button
Apple does not allow applications to use any of the buttons on iPhones, iPods and iPads, but Zello has great ways to get around that limitation.
1. Use your iPhone/iPod wired headset.
Enable "Headset/remote control" and change the push to talk action to "Toggle mode" to use the buttons on your apple headset to PTT in the foreground and the background.
2. Zello certified devices for true push to talk mode
To see a list of devices you can use as true push to talk, please see Zello compatible devices.
Listening to History
Recents has all your missed messages while you were offline. As soon as you sign in, Zello plays them.
To view History, select a user and tap the Eye icon. The blue dot indicates new messages. Tap a message to listen. The message plays and scrolls to the next one unless you tap the Pause icon.
To manage your Zello settings, select “Settings” from the Menu. For more information on Settings, please see the iPhone Settings Guide.
Customizing alerts with Zello
You can customize alert sounds on Zello, the paid version of the Zello app.
To access the audio alerts settings in Zello, do the following:
1. Tap “Settings” from the Menu.
2. Choose “Alert tones / vibrate.”
3. Choose “Customize alerts.”
4. Tap the Blue i icon to customize the setting for the alert sound.
5. Tap “Sounds@Zello” to choose alerts from Zello, or tap “Music Library” to choose sounds from your iOS device’s music library.