Setting the PTT button for an Android accessory (wired or BT)
You can set the PTT button on an Android accessory using the Push-to-talk buttons option. Supported wired and Bluetooth accessories are listed on our Accessories page. These accessories have been tested in-house and are Zello certified.
Accessories with a Zello PTT button will work even when running in the background, allowing you to keep your Android phone tucked safely away.
Supported accessories work in PTT mode, where you press and hold to transmit. Some may also support toggle mode.
To set a button for a wired or Bluetooth accessory:
- Connect the wired device, or pair your Bluetooth device to the phone using the manufacturer's instructions
- Tap open the app menu (3 vertical dots)
- Select Options
- Select the Push-to-talk buttons option
- Select the Add (+) icon at the bottom right corner
- When prompted, press the button on the wired or Bluetooth device to use as the PTT button
- The button will be added to your list of available PTT buttons to use.
Test the PTT button by using it to send a message to your Echo contact on Zello.
To map a contact or channel to a PTT button
After adding the PTT button for your accessory, you can map specific contacts or channel to it:
- Select an accessory button from your list. In this example, we'll select the APTT300A61 button created in our previous AINA example
- On the following screen, tap either Contacts or Channels under the button mapping section(s). The Contacts or Channels list will display
- Select the contact or channel you want as the default
- In the following example, texaskitty was selected as the default contact for the button:
To clear your mapping selections, tap the red Reset. The number of PTT buttons that can be mapped will depend on your accessory's specifications.