Using Zello Overlay Buttons on Android
Overlay Buttons allow you to create a talk button that lays on top of other apps for any conversation you want. This means that now you don’t have to leave your other workflow to keep talking with your coworkers!.
First, enable the feature for your network:
If you’re an administrator and you want this feature on your network, you can easily turn it ON from your Settings page:
- As an admin, log into your network’s console and go to the Settings page:
- Under your General Android Settings, scroll down to “Allow Overlay Buttons“. Turn ON this setting and click on “Save and Apply”:
Using the Overlay Buttons:
1. Get on the Android version that is 4.91 or above. You can find the most recent version on the Google Play Store.
2. Open the app, go to any contact, group or channel’s Talk Screen and tap on the Overlay Button icon:
3. The app will need your permission for the talk buttons to be displayed on top of other apps. In this case, simply tap on “Open Settings” on the message that will be displayed, and turn on the permission:
4. Now that the app has your permission, you can go back to the Talk Screen and create your Overlay Button!
How Overlay Buttons work:
- Toggle mode: All buttons will be automatically on toggle mode until push to talk is supported. This means that you only need to tap once to begin transmitting and tap again to stop.
- Place them anywhere: Tapping and holding the button will unlock its position so you can drag it around the screen. Releasing it will leave the button at that position and you can now tap to talk or hold again to drag.
- Open as many as you want: As you may have noticed, each overlay button has the name of the channel, group, or contact you are talking to. This is because you can open one button for each conversation you want from their respective talk screens.
Removing the buttons:
As you hold and drag, a red X will be shown at the top of your screen. Dragging the button to that X and releasing it will close the Overlay Button: